Based on the work of the Toward Gigabit Libraries project started in 2015 by Internet2 and funded by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), KINBER launched a Pennsylvania library focused Toward Gigabit Libraries in PA project in 2018 in partnership with the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Office of Commonwealth Libraries to conduct on-site library network assessments and in-person site visits at libraries across Pennsylvania and to provide virtual and in-person training and education for PA libraries.
KINBER has identified the need to support Pennsylvania libraries in their acquisition, use, and understanding of broadband networking and IT infrastructure technologies. The majority of libraries in Pennsylvania are often under-resourced and unable to take advantage of full broadband capabilities, tools, and technologies. In field visits to libraries and library systems, KINBER staff continue to see that there is a limited availability of resources to help libraries deploy and utilize broadband technologies and infrastructures. As Pennsylvania’s statewide research, education, and community network, KINBER has technical expertise in the deployment and utilization of broadband technologies that can be applied to support adoption in Pennsylvania’s libraries to improve their use and understanding of existing IT infrastructures and to further adopt and promote broadband tools and resources.
The overall goals of the Toward Gigabit Libraries in PA project are to increase and strengthen broadband capacity and connectivity among Pennsylvania’s public libraries enabling increased use of broadband resources for libraries, their patrons, and communities across the Commonwealth. This is being achieved through the following four objectives: 1) increase understanding of broadband networking technologies and best practices among PA libraries; 2) assess the current landscape of existing broadband connectivity and awareness at libraries in PA; 3) educate PA libraries on best practices for deploying and supporting broadband technologies; 4) stimulate opportunities for enhanced collaboration and support for broadband connectivity, including leveraging available state and federal resources, to aid in improving broadband capabilities for libraries across the Commonwealth.
Through KINBER library network assessments and site visits combined with the use of the Toward Gigabit Libraries Broadband Toolkit and the KINBER Library Broadband Report, Pennsylvania librarians will be better equipped to improve their broadband services and become stronger advocates for their libraries’ broadband infrastructure needs.
Download PA Broadband Toolkit
Toward Gigabit Libraries in Pennsylvania Virtual Workshops
- Workshop #1 – Broadband Fundamentals
- July 21, 2020 Part 1 [archived video part one]
- July 23, 2020 Part 2 [archived video part two]
- Workshop #2 – Emergent Technologies and Broadband Applications
- August 25, 2020 Part 1 [archived video part one]
- August 27, 2020 Part 2 [archived video part two]
- Workshop #3 – Advanced Topics – Broadband Mapping, Data Literacy, Library Carpentries and more
- September 15, 2020 Part 1 [archived video part one]
- September 17, 2020 Part 2 [archived video part two]
- ITDRC Resources for PA Public Libraries, April 23, 2020 [.pdf]
- Understanding E-Rate Overview for PA Libraries for Funding Year 2021, August 11, 2020 [.pdf]
- Cable Management and Labeling Webinar, September 10, 2020
[archived video | .pdf]
- Mobile Beacon Donation Programs for Education and Libraries [archived video]
2020 Library Resource Request Form
Additional Recorded Sessions
- FCC OK’s “Use of E-rate Funds for Remote Learning” [archived video]
- Emergency Connectivity Fund – FCC Starts Homework Gap Rulemaking Process [archived video]
- Networking 201 – April 30, 2021 [archived video | .pdf]
- Workshop #1 – Broadband Fundamentals
- July 27, 2021 Part 1 (2020 video) [archived video part one]
- July 29, 2021 Part 2 (2020 video) [archived video part two]
Broadband Visualization Tool
- Library Carpentry tools to help libraries become data and software savvy
COVID-19 Specific Resources
KINBER Webinar on Information Technology Disaster Resource Center Support for PA Public Libraries, April 23, 2020 [archived video | presentation]
Gigabit Libraries Network “What is a Library if the Building is Closed?” webinar series archive
This project is made possible, in part, by Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) as administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Office of Commonwealth Libraries.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.